I knew I was an empath, but I had no idea how much being an empath influenced every aspect of my life. I picked up The Empath’s Survival Guide by Judith Orloff, MD as my weekend read with moderate interest, but I have been blown away by how insightful it has been. I feel like the book was written almost entirely about me and explains every nuance of the highs and lows in my life. I am still digesting the contents on all levels due to the amount of self-discovery, but I feel empowered with an enhanced perspective of my underlying motivators, talents, and potential. I cannot recommend this book enough.
Take the quiz below to see if this book is a good fit for you.
Empath Quiz from Judy Orloff, MD
To determine how empathic you are take the following self assessment test that Judy offers in the book and keep track of how many times you answer YES.
1. Have I been labeled as “overly sensitive,” shy, or introverted?
2. Do I frequently get overwhelmed or anxious?
3. Do arguments or yelling make me ill?
4. Do I often feel like I don’t fit in?
5. Am I drained by crowds and need alone time to revive myself?
6. Am I over stimulated by noise, odors, or non-stop talkers?
7. Do I have chemical sensitivities or can’t tolerate scratchy clothes?
8. Do I prefer taking my own car places so I can leave early if I need to?
9. Do I overeat to cope with stress?
10. Am I afraid of becoming suffocated by intimate relationships?
11. Do I startle easily?
12. Do I react strongly to caffeine or medications?
13. Do I have a low pain threshold?
14. Do I tend to socially isolate?
15. Do I absorb other people’s stress, emotions, or symptoms?
16. Am I overwhelmed by multitasking and prefer doing one thing at a time?
17. Do I replenish myself in nature?
18. Do I need a long time to recuperate after being with difficult people or energy vampires?
19. Do I feel better in small cities or the country than large cities?
20. Do I prefer one-to-one interactions or small groups rather than large gatherings?
- If you answered yes to one to five questions, you’re at least partially an empath.
You may find some insight by reading this book.
- Responding yes to six to ten questions means you have moderate empathic tendencies.
You will find some insight by reading this book.
- Responding yes to eleven to fifteen means you have strong empathic tendencies.
You will find this book applicable to your daily life.
- Answering yes to more than fifteen questions means that you are a full blown empath.
You will find this book invaluable to your daily life.
My score was 18.
How about you?
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and affiliate marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. All views and opinions are my own. Thank you for your support.